Mike is a partner that specializes in commercial, noncompete, and trade secret litigation. Mike is a courtroom specialist who has tried lawsuits and arbitrations in federal and state courts and arbitration tribunals across the country, and he has a particular specialty in federal and state court injunction proceedings relating to noncompetes, trade secrets, and commercial contract and supply issues.
Mike is licensed in both Wisconsin and Michigan and, as such, has been uniquely positioned to handle complex and often high-stake supply and related commercial disputes (often, but not exclusively, related to the automotive industry). He has represented automotive and other suppliers and manufacturers in state and federal courts in both states relating to supply issues, requirements contracts, and price disputes.
Mike has a track record of courtroom success in high-profile and “bet the company” cases. Examples of his achievements include:
- A $12.6 million federal jury verdict in a commercial dispute on behalf of one of Wisconsin’s largest companies against a former sales agent and his company, and an affirmance by the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals of the verdict.
- Defeating a federal court injunction request brought under the then-newly enacted federal Defend Trade Secrets Act and Wisconsin’s Uniform Trade Secrets Act in a lawsuit brought against a technological company by a competitor.
- Obtaining, as co-counsel in a trademark case, a temporary restraining order requiring a client’s competitor to cease sales and remove product from store shelves.
- Defeating a $3.5 million trade secrets and confidentiality claim in a federal jury trial on behalf of a Wisconsin manufacturing company accused of copying a competitor’s manufacturing process.
- Defeating on summary judgment a more than $40 million claim alleging theft of trade secrets and violation of a noncompete agreement relating to a client’s activity with a Fortune 50 company.
- A high-profile jury verdict absolving a university from liability and damages relating to a claimed environmental impact on neighboring properties on Lake Michigan and over $1 million in damages.
- Serving as co-lead counsel in a seminal non-compete case decided by the Wisconsin Supreme Court, which allows employers to give continued employment as consideration for the noncompete.
- A judgment in favor of a manufacturing representative which included a 200% exemplary damages award under Wisconsin’s independent sales representative statute.
Mike has argued cases before the Wisconsin Supreme Court and the United States Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit.
Mike has been recognized by Best Lawyers in America (2012-2020). He is known for his efficiency and practical approach to litigation, and is able to bring his 17 years of large firm, sophisticated litigation experience in Wisconsin and Michigan to an environment that allows him to offer cost-effective representation and solutions for his clients. He understands client goals vary from case to case, and he builds a litigation strategy tailored to a client’s particular goals in each specific matter.
- Central College, 1996 (B.A., Criminal Justice, summa cum laude)
- Georgetown University Law School, 1999 (J.D., cum laude)
Admissions & Activities
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- State Bar of Michigan
- United States District Court, Eastern & Western Districts of Wisconsin, Eastern & Western Districts of Michigan, and numerous other federal courts.
- Milwaukee Bar Association
- Best Lawyers in American, 2012-2020