Susan is one of the founding members of SBR Law Group and practices commercial real estate, development and construction law. A significant portion of Susan’s practice is representing corporate clients with the real estate aspects of mergers and acquisitions. Susan has extensive experience advising companies, developers and individuals in a wide variety of real estate matters, including acquisition, development, construction, use, dispute, sale and other dispositions of real property.
Susan has expertise in land use and development. Susan advises her clients throughout the acquisition and development process in preparing and negotiating purchase agreements, advocating at municipal meetings and hearings, advising on development, TIF, annexation, construction, architectural and subcontractor agreements, and reviewing and negotiating real estate loan documentation, brokerage agreements and leases.
Susan is creative in tailoring her work to solve clients’ unusual real estate situations and special use needs. From complex mixed-use developments and TIF financing to industrial property transfers and leases, Susan offers solutions designed to accomplish her clients’ objectives in a manner amenable to lenders and necessary governmental authorities. This skill allows her clients to achieve their goals more quickly while preserving their important business relationships.
Susan takes a practical approach to resolving real estate issues keeping in mind the final result for her clients. She understands that the goal for each client can vary, therefore the best result is not the same for every client
- University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, 1985 (B.S., Criminal Justice)
- Hamline School of Law, 1989 (J.D.)
Admissions & Activities
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- United States District Court, Easter & Western Districts of Wisconsin
- Milwaukee Bar Association
- Waukesha County Bar Association, Chair of Real Estate Section
- Metropolitan Builders Association
- NAIOP Member
- Represented private equity group in acquisition of stock of manufacturing company with complex real estate facility in environmentally compromised industrial area of Milwaukee.
- Represented national truck fueling company in acquisition, development, leasing and sales of multiple fueling sites in numerous states across the U.S.
- Advised investors/buyers of stock of manufacturing company in lease negotiations of multiple parcel site facilities in southeastern Wisconsin.
- Advised private equity group in acquisition of stock of ESOP manufacturing company with industrial real estate.
- Represented sole shareholder in sale of stock of large territory liquor distributor with unique owned real estate to national liquor distributor.
- Negotiated acquisition, financial incentives and development agreement for large national bakery, test kitchen and retail store in Cudahy, Wisconsin.
- Advised private equity group in acquisition of stock of manufacturing company with owned real estate in Milwaukee metropolitan area and subsequent additional real estate acquisition for expansion.
- Represented privately owned community based residential facility in sale of eight facilities.
- Advised national bank on conversion of residential subdivision in southeastern Wisconsin acquired by foreclosure to condominium development.
- Represented condominium developer in acquisition of land, drafting of condominium documents, formation and governance of condominium association, and sale and lease of 160 unit condominium project with mixed use residential and commercial condominium units, parking units and boat slip units on Milwaukee River.
- Represented shareholders in sale of specialty grocery and associated real estate to ESOP purchaser.
- Advised national developer on mixed-use condominium development with hotel, retail and residential condominium in downtown Milwaukee.
- Represented restaurant owner in acquisition of commercial parcel, easement agreement with six adjacent property owners, TIF financing, development agreement with municipality and cross-collateral loan for new restaurant in Waukesha County, Wisconsin.
- Advised business owner of large industrial lot with multiple buildings in urban industrial park on conversion of parcel to industrial condominium.
- Represented minority owner in acquiring majority interest in development, $50,000,000 facility for acquisition and development, re-dividing parcels, negotiating development agreement with municipality, drafting condominium hotel documents, drafting form condominium unit sale agreement for mixed-use resort, residential condominium, hotel condominium, golf and air strip development.
- Advised real estate developer on conversion of office park to commercial condominium, drafted condominium and association documents, and advised on governing association.
- Advised numerous residential and mixed use condominium associations and homeowner associations on governance issues in Wisconsin.
- Drafted form construction contracts for high-end home builder in southeastern Wisconsin.
- Represented investor in sale of office buildings near Mayfair Mall in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
- Represented investor in sale of commercial office building via land contract in South Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
- Represented CPA firm in acquisition of retail building and conversion to office use in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
- Represented construction contractor in acquisition, and construction and relocation of new office building and contractor yard in West Allis, Wisconsin and special use easement.
- Advised heir on liability of potential receipt of environmentally compromised property and proposed sale to municipality in Cudahy, Wisconsin.
- Advised numerous businesses in negotiation of business leases such as advertising company, fitness center, medical office, IT company, and various manufacturing businesses in various Wisconsin locations.
- Represented numerous other investors, buyers, sellers, tenants and landlords of office, retail and industrial properties.