Mike is a partner that specializes in commercial, noncompete, and trade secret litigation. Mike is a courtroom specialist who has tried lawsuits and arbitrations in federal and state courts and arbitration tribunals across the country, and he has a particular specialty in federal and state court injunction proceedings.
Mike has a track record of courtroom success in high-profile and “bet the company” cases. Examples of his achievements include:
- A $12.6 million federal jury verdict in a commercial dispute on behalf of one of Wisconsin’s largest companies against a former sales agent and his company, and an affirmance by the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals of the verdict.
- Defeating a federal court injunction request brought under the new federal Defend Trade Secrets Act and Wisconsin’s Uniform Trade Secrets Act in a lawsuit brought against a technological company by a competitor.
- Obtaining, as co-counsel in a trademark case, a temporary restraining order requiring a client’s competitor to cease sales and remove product from store shelves.
- Defeating a $3.5 million trade secrets and confidentiality claim in a federal jury trial on behalf of a Wisconsin manufacturing company accused of copying a competitor’s manufacturing process.
- Defeating on summary judgment a more than $40 million claim alleging theft of trade secrets and violation of a noncompete agreement relating to a client’s activity with a Fortune 50 company.
- A high-profile jury verdict absolving a university from liability and damages relating to a claimed environmental impact on neighboring properties on Lake Michigan and over $1 million in damages.
- Serving as co-lead counsel in a seminal non-compete case decided by the Wisconsin Supreme Court, which allows employers to give continued employment as consideration for the noncompete.
- A judgment in favor of a manufacturing representative which included a 200% exemplary damages award under Wisconsin’s independent sales representative statute.
Mike has handled six injunction matters in 2017 alone, both obtaining and defeating injunctions for his corporate and individual clients.
Mike is known for his efficiency and practical approach to litigation, and is able to bring his 17 years of large firm, sophisticated litigation experience in an environment that allows him to offer cost-effective solutions for his clients. He understands client goals vary from case to case, and he builds a litigation strategy tailored to a client’s particular goal in each specific matter.
- Central College, 1996 (B.A., Criminal Justice, summa cum laude)
- Georgetown University Law School, 1999 (J.D., cum laude)
Admissions & Activities
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- State Bar of Michigan
- United States District Court, Eastern & Western Districts of Wisconsin, Eastern & Western Districts of Michigan, and numerous other federal courts.
- Milwaukee Bar Association
- Best Lawyers in American, 2012-2017