Melissa Blair Espin
Melissa is an attorney at SBR Law Group who practices business litigation and banking and creditors’ rights. She has worked on all aspects of wide-ranging litigation matters, including construction and employment matters, franchise disputes, shareholder disputes, lender liability, banking matters, and real estate disputes, and she has both trial and arbitration experience. She also has significant experience in bankruptcy and creditors’ rights matters, including representing Wisconsin Chapter 128 receivers as well as financial institutions and creditors in work-outs, refinancing, and bankruptcy and adversary proceedings. Melissa gained valuable experience with the judicial system when serving as a Law Clerk to the Honorable Susan V. Kelley, Chief Judge for the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin.
Melissa has been selected as a Wisconsin Rising Star for six years in the practice areas of both Business Litigation and Creditor/Debtor Rights. She was named one of “Milwaukee’s Leading Lawyers” of 2015 by M Magazine in Banking.
In law school, Melissa was the Managing Editor of the Marquette Law Review and received the CALI Excellence for the Future Award for receiving the highest grade in Legal Writing and Research, Evidence, Alternative Dispute Resolution, Domestic Violence, Pretrial Practice, and Professional Sports Law.
Melissa prides herself on her attention to detail, creativity, exemplary client service, and a common sense approach in attaining the best result for every client.
- University of Wisconsin-Green Bay, 2000 (B.A., Public Administration)
- Marquette University Law School, 2004 (J.D., Magna Cum Laude)
Admissions & Activities
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- State Bar of Illinois
- Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
- United States District Court, Western District of Wisconsin
- Thomas E. Fairchild American Inns of Court
- Wisconsin State Bar – Bankruptcy, Insolvency, and Creditors’ Rights Section
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Turnaround Management Association
- American and Milwaukee Bar Associations
- Centro Legal “Women Helping Women” and “Centro LeGala” Fundraising Event Planning Committees
- Marquette Law School Reunion Planning Committee
- Boston Marathon finisher
- Wisconsin’s Sex Offender Registration and Notification Laws: Has the Wisconsin Legislature Left the Criminals and the Constitution Behind?, 87 Marq. L. Rev. 939 (2004)
- Terrorism, America’s Porous Borders, and the Role of the Invasion Clause Post-9/11/2001, 87 Marq. L. Rev. 167 (2003)
- Editor, Ginsberg and Martin on Bankruptcy
- Presenter, Bankruptcy Law Basics, Mount Mary University, Fall 2014 and 2015
- Presenter, Receivership Basics, O’Neil, Cannon, Hollman, DeJong & Laing, s.c., Fall 2014 and 2015
- Presenter on various topics at the Thomas E. Fairchild American Inns of Court, 2012 – 2015
- Presenter, Lou Jones Breakfast Club Seminar (Eastern District of Wisconsin Bankruptcy Court), 2012-2013